Office of Special Programs

Office of Special Programs

COVID-19 Impact on Event Scheduling – Use of University Facilities (UUF) and Alcohol Service Requests (ASR) Notice

The COVID-19 Prevention Guidelines for In-Person Events (Word) provides guidance for preventing the spread of COVID-19 and for compliance with Washington state and local public health requirements at in-person events sponsored by or conducted at the University of Washington premises, including leased spaces.

For events that require approval through the Use of University Facilities (UUF) process, event organizers must submit a completed In-Person Event COVID-19 Prevention Plan with their UUF Request Form.

The UW Environmental Health & Safety Department has posted COVID-19 Prevention Guidelines for In-Person Events, specifying that “Event organizers and venue operators should coordinate to ensure all the health and safety roles and elements are addressed.”  This is represented in the form of a checklist.

In order to ensure we have proper documentation on file, we will require that you send in your completed checklist with both the organizer’s and venue operator’s signature prior to approval of your UUF.  This can be emailed to

For events that don’t require approval through the UUF process, event organizers must submit a completed In-Person Event COVID-19 Prevention Plan to the relevant University unit representative or sponsor.


Contact Environmental Health & Safety Department
(206) 543-7262

The Office of Special Programs (OSP) administers two University approval processes:
Use of University Facilities (UUF) | Alcohol Service Request (ASR).

OSP’s role includes reviewing campus activities and alcohol service to ensure adherence to the Washington State Administrative Code (WAC) and to disseminate information regarding the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board’s alcohol regulations.

OSP’s role does not include space/venue reservations, initial risk management assessment, parking arrangements, or other event planning services. It is also important to note that not all events require a Use of University Facilities or Alcohol Service Request. Subsequently, the UUF & ASR database is not intended to serve as an event calendar representative of all campus activity.

All UUF’s and Alcohol Service requests must be approved by the Use of University Facilities Committee (UUFC) before the function can be held and/or alcohol is allowed.

All Alcohol Service Requests, Use of University Facility Requests and related materials will be kept on file for three years.

Use of University Facilities (UUF)

Washington state law requires that University of Washington facilities be used primarily for their intended educational use. Therefore, use of University facilities must be reviewed and approved by the UUF Committee.

When UUF approval is required:

  • A non-university group/individual intends to hold a function at a UW facility.
  • A private or commercial organization wishes to sponsor or be involved with an activity at a University facility.
  • A University community member (current student, staff, or faculty) intends to hold a function at a UW facility which is open to the general public or invited off-campus guests.
  • A University community member (current student, staff, or faculty) intends to hold a function (independent of any student group, department or administrative unit) at a UW facility.
  • An organization would like to hold a partisan political activity at a UW facility
  • All outdoors events with amplification.
  • All outdoors events in areas managed by UW Office of Facilities Services.
  • At the venue operator’s discretion.

OSP encourages all applicants to review the following page for additional UUF information which includes information about buildings NOT owned by UW that do not require UUF approval.

Alcohol Service

Alcoholic beverages may be possessed, sold, served, and consumed at University facilities only when the appropriate approvals and permits have been obtained from the University and all University policies and WA state alcohol regulations and laws must be followed.

When Alcohol Service approval is required:

  • An organization or individual intends to serve and/or sell alcoholic beverages at a function occurring at a UW facility.

The type of permit(s) and approval(s) required depend on the manner in which alcohol is obtained, dispensed, and to whom it is served. The Alcohol Service Request flowchart helps determine the type of permit or license required for an event.

Review additional Alcohol Service information here.

Academic Integrity Program & Parent Resources

The Academic Integrity Program and the Parent and Family Resources and Referral Services, formerly administered by Special Programs, have transitioned to the Office of Student Conduct and the Division of Student Life, respectively.