Office of Special Programs
The Office of Special Programs (OSP) administers two University approval processes:
Use of University Facilities (UUF) | Alcohol Service Request (ASR).
OSP’s role includes reviewing campus activities and alcohol service to ensure adherence to the Washington State Administrative Code (WAC) and to disseminate information regarding the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board’s alcohol regulations.
OSP’s role does not include space/venue reservations, initial risk management assessment, parking arrangements, or other event planning services. It is also important to note that not all events require a Use of University Facilities or Alcohol Service Request. Subsequently, the UUF & ASR database is not intended to serve as an event calendar representative of all campus activity.
All UUF’s and Alcohol Service requests must be approved by the Use of University Facilities Committee (UUFC) before the function can be held and/or alcohol is allowed.
All Alcohol Service Requests, Use of University Facility Requests and related materials will be kept on file for three years.
Use of University Facilities (UUF)
Washington state law requires that University of Washington facilities be used primarily for their intended educational use. Therefore, use of University facilities must be reviewed and approved by the UUF Committee.
When UUF approval is required:
- A non-university group/individual intends to hold a function at a UW facility.
- A private or commercial organization wishes to sponsor or be involved with an activity at a University facility.
- A University community member (current student, staff, or faculty) intends to hold a function at a UW facility which is open to the general public or invited off-campus guests.
- A University community member (current student, staff, or faculty) intends to hold a function (independent of any student group, department or administrative unit) at a UW facility.
- An organization would like to hold a partisan political activity at a UW facility
- All outdoors events with amplification.
- All outdoors events in areas managed by UW Office of Facilities Services.
- At the venue operator’s discretion.
Alcohol Service Request (ASR)
Alcoholic beverages may be possessed, sold, served, and consumed at University facilities only when the appropriate approvals and permits have been obtained from the University and all University policies and WA state alcohol regulations and laws must be followed.
When alcohol service request approval is required:
- An organization or individual intends to serve and/or sell alcoholic beverages at a function occurring at a UW facility.
The type of permit(s) and approval(s) required depend on the manner in which alcohol is obtained, dispensed, and to whom it is served. The Alcohol Service Request flowchart helps determine the type of permit or license required for an event.
Review additional Alcohol Service information here.
Venue Operator Information
If you are a registered venue operator, please read and familiarize yourself with the following:
Venue Operator’s Toolkit:
- To view a file, please click a link below:
- E-mail to New Venue Operator
- Venue Operator Guide – Academic Technologies
- Venue Operator Roles and Responsibilities
- Venue Operators and Alcohol Service Policies
- Alcohol Policy and Directions (HUB Games)
- Alcohol Service Plan Department (HUB Games)
- Alcohol Service Plan RSO (HUB Games)
- UUF Policy and Directions (HUB Games)
- Alternatively, click here to download all files in a .zip folder for sharing, sending or later review.
Should you have questions or concerns, we would be glad to assist. You can e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org